Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Racial Profiling and Social Security?

Recently I received an e-mail from Tavis Smiley. Whether this is the famous news commentator or not I don't know. The message was that the U.S government is using the Social Security numbering system to segregate its citizens according to race. At first I thought that this was ridiculous. This message said that African-Americans and other minorities will be identified by the fifth number of their social security number, which will be always an even number while whites will always have an odd fifth number. Being an African-American and having an even fifth number could be just a coincidence but I have contacted at least ten other African-Americans and found that they too have a fifth even number of their Social Security number. I am not saying that this is definitely the case, but I have to admit that to this point it seems to be true. Can you just imagine how employers and real estate people can use this as an undetectable way to steer blacks and other minorities elsewhere when applying for jobs or housing? I hope that this doesn't turn out to be just another internet hoax or urban legend that is why I am asking YOU, the public to check your Social Security numbers in order to prove or disprove this theory....and let me know what you find.

No comments: