Saturday, January 08, 2005

Armstrong Williams.......fired?

Usually I am saddened to hear news of someone who loses employment because there is always the thought in the back of my mind in these turbulent times.....it could happen to me
or the people close to me. I have to make an exception in the case of African-American Conservative(....doesn't that sound like an oxymoron?) Armstrong Williams. I was actually ecstatic to hear that several radio stations and newspapers were cancelling his columns and programs because of his accepting $240,000.oo to promote "No Child Left Behind". I remember
saying to myself "if something like this had to happen to someone, there would be no one better
than Armstrong Williams, the protege of the late arch segregationist Strom Thurmond. The same Strom Thurmond I once heard say at one time in the early 60s "I don't understand what
these Negroes are complaining about......they have refrigerators and cars." This is the same
Strom Thurmond who fathered a child with an African-American. This is like the klan having
a black spokeman. Of course I would not like to start any premature celebrations because at
this time I do not have any definite confirmations at this time but if it is true.....what a wonder event. It shows that maybe there are more radio stations that are not owned by Clear Channel than I thought. There is no need to shed tears for Mr. Armstrong because the well connected
talk show host has many friends in the right wing community, but as far as his credibility in the vast majority of the African-American community Mr. Armstrong has a special place alongside
J. Kenneth Blackwell, Clarence Thomas, Moise Tshome and others who have sought personal gain at the expense of their people.

No comments: